Through a body of work shaped by an ancient tradition, Idries Shah espoused a belief in being the best possible form of oneself. Many of the thousands of stories he published document the trials and tribulations of Mankind on its journey – celebrating perseverance, ingenuity, and original thought.
We are proud to announce the establishment of a series of honours – The ISF Awards for Human Achievement – to be presented annually to those who have championed the values so central to Shah’s life and work.
Taking the form of gilded ormolu medallions, the awards will be crafted by Spink & Son, medallists to Queen Elizabeth II. They shall be presented each year to four outstanding women, four men, and to a foundation or charitable organisation. In addition, a posthumous award will also be made.
The Trustees are delighted to announce the recipients for the 2019 ISF Awards, and congratulate them all for their extraordinary contributions to human achievement.
- Dr. Jane Goodall: Anthropologist & primatologist
- Robyn Davidson: Legendary explorer
- Herta Müller: Novelist & Nobel Laureate
- Lisa Alther: Best-selling novelist
- Sir David Attenborough: Renowned environmentalist & film maker
- Chris Hadfield: Astronaut & former Commander of the International Space Station
- Dr. Desmond Morris: Anthropologist & author
- Dr. James Lovelock: Originator of The Gaia Hypothesis
- International Crisis Group: Leading NGO dedicated to conflict resolution.
- Jorge Luis Borges: Argentine author, poet, and essayist.